In the time and age of adulteration, junk food, instant fixes, pollution, we are looking at an unhealthy lifestyle around us. When lifestyle is unhealthy it brings illness, most people look out for quick medication which promises immediate relief but also comes with a set of side effects. So, now is the time when we go back to our roots and try some home remedies that not only help us overcome these common sicknesses, but also boost our immune system for healthy living.
Home Remedies for Some Common Sickness
My first home remedy is detox water, which you must try to integrate into your daily routine.
- 1 tsp Lemon: It contains vitamin C, which boosts the immunity system, helps in digestion, flushing out toxins, and cleanses the liver, relief in joint pain.
- ½ tsp Ginger juice: It promotes weight loss, helps in period pain, migraine management, and balances blood sugar.
- 1 tbsp Honey: It helps in clearing the throat, has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, helps in weight loss, and soothes allergies.
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan salt: Taste enhancer helps regulate electrolytes, cleanses the colon
- ½ tsp Sri-Lankan rolled cinnamon powder: One of the healthiest spices that help in reducing sugar levels, avoiding heart disease risk, and weight loss.
- 200ml warm water which helps to cleanse toxins created while sleeping.
Mix all and sip warm first thing in the morning.
2. Concoction for Cough and Cold
- 1tsp Bishop’s weed or Carom seeds: They have antibacterial, antifungal properties that help in preventing cough, and increase airflow to the lungs.
- 2-3 Black peppercorns crushed: being an antibiotic in nature, helps in curing congestion and runny nose.
- One clove crushed garlic: It has antiviral and antibiotic properties that help for fighting flu, coughs, and colds.
- ½ inch piece ginger crushed: Crushed ginger has pain killer properties, thus helping to relieve scratchy feeling in the throat, soreness, or congestion.
- Two Green Cardamoms: Cardamom helps in the circulation of blood in the lungs, thus making breathing easy, and helping in the expulsion of phlegm.
- 1 Star anise: Star Anise has medicinal properties that help in fighting virals; it also has vitamin C that helps in colds.
- 1 tbsp honey
Take two cups of water + all above herbs boiled till it becomes one cup. Sip warm and keep feet covered.
Also Read: With the cold comes the killer headache. You should try some home remedies to get rid of that headache.
3. Fever Concoctions
A fever is not a disease; it is a body temperature that is higher than normal. A normal temperature usually varies from person to person, but it is often around 98.6 F. Fever is a sign that your body is trying to fight an illness or infection. It acts as the body’s defense system against bacteria, viruses which run its course for 3-5 days irrespective of taking paracetamols or antibiotics. Fever leads to uneasiness, but unless a high-grade fever is 102+ (not for infants), we can try to control the fever with home remedies.
1. One medium-sized onion is chopped finely and kept in a glass bowl with ½ cup water for 4-5 hours.
Then sip 2 tbsps every hour.
Onion has anti-flu properties that help in fighting viral, vitamin C, which boosts the immunity and fights disease.
2. Brandy, Vicks, or Castor oil rubbed on soles of feet and palms and a drop in navel helps regulate temperature.
3. The super Fenugreek or methi Kada: 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds have quinine which is the main ingredient in paracetamol.
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 2 cups of water
Add all ingredients in water and boil until it becomes half. Sip warm, thrice a day.
4. Acidity Relief
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds that have the property of activating digestive enzymes in the gut.
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds which act as a diuretic, and relieves gas and cramps,
- 3-4 Black raisins that help to clean the gut.
- ½ tbsp rock sugar which has cooling properties for the stomach
- 1 cup of water
Soak all ingredients in water overnight, churn in the mixture and drink first thing in the morning.
5. Diarrhoea Relief
1. One tbsp raw tea powder: Tea has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties; it helps in protecting the stomach lining. The tannins in tea help to fight against harmful bacteria, and viruses.
Take 1 cup of lukewarm water and swallow the tea powder with warm water. It can be taken 2-3 times as needed.
2. Make a regular tea with ginger add the same amount of chilled water in the hot tea and sip it up.
Though these are sure shot tried and tested remedies, one should be alert and know when the intervention of a doctor is undoubtedly needed. These home remedies save us from the vicious cycles of more and more unwanted health issues. So going back to our roots, to our kitchens is the need of the hour. Let’s make a conscious change in our lifestyles.
Also Read: Tea is one of the most beneficial herbs you can come across. Check out different herbs and their uses for better treatment of various symptoms.
Disclaimer: The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.